"It is...Our will that Catholics should abstain from certain appellations which have recently been brought into use to distinguish one group of Catholics from another. They are to be avoided not only as 'profane novelties of words,' out of harmony with both truth and justice, but also because they give rise to great trouble and confusion among Catholics. Such is the nature of Catholicism that it does not admit of more or less, but must be held as a whole or as a whole rejected: 'This is the Catholic faith, which unless a man believe faithfully and firmly; he cannot be saved' (Athanasian Creed). There is no need of adding any qualifying terms to the profession of Catholicism: it is quite enough for each one to proclaim 'Christian is my name and Catholic my surname,' only let him endeavour to be in reality what he calls himself." -- Pope Benedict XV, Ad Beatissimi Apostolorum 24 (1914)
Friday, June 29, 2012
Extraordinary Form Global Update
Summorum Pontificum at 5
June 2012: Some recent and upcoming liturgical events (Expanded post)
1. Three new priests and two new deacons are set to be ordained for the Institute of the Good Shepherd on June 29 in the famed St. Eloi church in Bordeaux. The ordaining prelate will be Bishop Fernando Monteiro Guimarães, Bishop of Garanhuns, Brazil. (Announcement.)
2. In England, there will be two Pontifical liturgical services in the last week of June:
a. Solemn Pontifical Mass by Bp. Fernando Areas Rifan on June 30, at 3 PM, in the Church of the Immaculate Heart in Leeds. For more on Bp. Rifan's schedule in the UK please refer to the LMS website's special post on his visit.
b. Bp. Mark Davies of the Diocese of Shrewsbury will confer Confirmations according to the traditional rite in SS. Peter and Paul and St Philomena’s Shrine Church, New Brighton, on June 29 at 7pm.
3. The famed blogger and convert Rev. John Hunwicke will, after his ordination to the Catholic priesthood on June 27, celebrate his first Mass according to the Traditional Roman Rite on June 28 in the Brompton (London) Oratory. It will be a Low Mass. (The announcement is on his blog.)
4. The Emeritus Archbishop of Guadalajara and Cardinal, Juan Sandoval Iñíguez, will offer Solemn Pontifical Mass and confer confirmations according to the traditional rite on the 27th of June at 7 P.M. in the church of Nuestra Señora del Pilar de Guadalajara. (Source.)
5.. Fr. Patrick Kuis, who was ordained priest earlier this month for the diocese of Den Bosch (‘s Hertogenbosch) in the Netherlands, offered his first TLM - a Solemn High Mass - at St. Agnes' church (FSSP) in Amsterdam on the morning of June 24, 2012:
More pictures can be found at this blog: Onofficiële Agneskerk-dingen
Fr. Patrick Kuis was one of two priests ordained for Den Bosch, and one of 9 priests ordained so far for the Church in the Netherlands this year. (All of them were ordained on June 2). He is also the youngest among the ordinands, and the only one in his twenties (see this article for a rundown of the ages of the ordinands).
Going by WikkiMissa the diocese of Den Bosch currently has no canonically-regular every-Sunday Traditional Latin Mass. Hopefully the new priest will help change that situation!
6. Bishop Fernando Areas Rifan ordained two new deacons, identified as Messrs. Rafael Scolaro and Pio Bruno MSC, on June 16, 2012. Pictures can be found in this blog. The ordinations were held in Bom Jesus do Itabapoana, Río de Janeiro.
(We would be grateful if our Brazilian readers could clarify if the "MSC" at the end of the Rev. Mr. Bruno's name does signify -- as it normally would in an ecclesiastical context -- that he is a member of the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart.)
7. Bishop Alain Castet of Luçon, the same bishop who had come under fire from some of his own clergy for ordaining deacons for the FSSP in Wigratzbad last month, conferred traditional-rite confirmations on six boys of the Chavagnes International College on June 22, 2012. Confirmations were followed by Mass celebrated by the bishop himself. Pictures can be found on the blog of Fr. Bede Rowe (note the crucifer in tunicle).
8. The Archbishop of Vancouver, J. Michael Miller, conferred confirmations according to the traditional Roman rite on June 19, 2012. The ceremony was held in Vancouver's FSSP-run personal parish for the Traditional Latin Mass, Holy Family Parish. More pictures can be found in Momentum Veritatis
9. The Bishop of Raleigh, North Carolina, Michael Burbidge, conferred the Sacrament of Confirmation on over twentyconfirmandi at Sacred Heart Cathedral on June 6, 2012. Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, the Litany of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and Benediction followed the Confirmation rites. (Source and more pictures can be found in: In Caritate Non Ficta.)
10. In the Archdiocese of Manila, the Traditional Catholic movement scored a major triumph on the 10th of June. On that day, in honor of the External Solemnity of Corpus Christi, a Sung Mass was offered in the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament in De La Salle University in Manila. This was the first Traditional Latin Mass to be offered in that chapel -- and in the entire university -- since the liturgical reforms of Paul VI took effect in the Philippines. The Mass was offered upon the request of the aforesaid university's alumni association, and was supported by the La Salle brothers. The Mass was offered at the original high altar, which has fortunately been preserved all these years.
The chapel itself was the site of the brutal martyrdom of several La Salle brothers in 1945 by Japanese soldiers; the blood of the brothers would stain the altar rail (now preserved elsewhere) and the high altar.
NLM has some pictures. The official blog of Societas Ecclesia Dei Sancti Joseph will have a more comprehensive report soon.
11. On June 3, Feast of the Most Holy Trinity, Bishop Athanasius Schneider, Auxiliary Bishop of Maria Santissima in Astana, offered "Messa Prelatizia" in the Chiesa N.S. Di Loreto in Borgo Peri in the diocese of Albenga-Imperia in the north of Italy.Pictures at NLM.
12. On the day before, Bishop Joseph Perry, an Auxiliary Bishop of Chicago, sang a Prelatical Missa Cantata at St. Andrew's Church in Calumet City, IL on June 2, Ember Saturday in the Octave of Pentecost. This church has a TLM every First Saturday. More at "A Catholic Life".
13. Those following the travails of the Sons of the Most Holy Redeemer might be interested to know that on June 3, 2012, one of them, Fr. Anthony Mary F.Ss.R, armed with faculties given by the Bishop of Aberdeen, celebrated the Sacrament of Confirmation. More details and pictures at the Papa Stronsay blog.
14. We had a post last month about the Traditional Catholic events that were scheduled at the sidelines of the International Eucharistic Congress in Dublin this June: 50th International Eucharistic Congress, Dublin, Traditional Latin Mass program. These went on as planned. Pictures of the Solemn Pontifical Mass of Archbishop Terrence Prendergast of Ottawa are available at the New Liturgical Movement:
15. We also noted, earlier this month, the Solemn Pontifical Mass at the faldstool of Bishop Giuseppe Sciacca in Trinità dei Pellegrini for the Feast of the Most Holy Trinity (June 3).
H/t to CATHOLICVS and Accion Liturgica for some of the leads.
Posted by Kitchener Waterloo Traditional Catholic at 7:41 AM