Far Too Many Ignore The Reality Of Judgment That Follows Death!
Many of the ancient hymns and prayers of the Church also speak of the Lord as judging the world by fire. The beautiful hymn Libera me from the Requiem Mass asks mercy from the Lord dum veneris īudicāre sæculum per ignem (when you will come to judge the world by fire). Many of the prayers in the old Rituale Romanum (once again permitted for use) conclude by invoking the name of the Lord Jesus qui venturus est judicare vivos et mortuos, et saeculum per ignem (who will come to judge the living, the dead, and the world by fire). This is especially true in the prayers of baptism.
- And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment (Heb 9:27)
- For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil (2 Cor 5:10)
- For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat…So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God. (Romans 14:10,12)
- God will judge men’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares (Rom 2:16)
- Always speak and act as men destined for judgment (James 2:12)
- Among many other texts, indeed dozens by Jesus himself that we will detail in another post.